We are The Poe's. Now a family of 5 through adoption. Here's a peek into our lives. Welcome!


________________________________________________________

Friday, July 30, 2010

Finally in Ethiopia!

DSCN2014.JPG


So, we’re finally here! We arrived last night safe and sound in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia! The flight was LONG!! But we did have a few movies (one was a Miley Cyrus movie…lame). The food was good and the flight accommodations were adequate, so I’m not complaining. We got to see Italy from the sky as we touched down to refuel in Rome! Looks beautiful from up there!

DSCN2018.JPG



We arrived pretty late and TIRED at our guest house. The staff is wonderful and the room is very nice. It’s the winter/rainy season here so it’s pretty chilly…not what we expected for Africa! Our room is very cold and the only other minor complaint is that our bed is a stone slab, but we’ve been so tired that it doesn’t even matter! We slept well the first night and plan to do the same tonight.
Today we met our baby girl, Desalee! I was very anxious as we drove over to the orphanage. Each family had to wait to be invited inside to meet their child individually. We were second. When we went in a videographer taped our first meeting. I didn’t really know how I would react…would I break down and cry, overcome with emotion? As it turns out…No. We had huge smiles on our face as we entered the room where she was sitting with a nanny.
She’s shy and we knew that she didn’t take too kindly to strangers. When the nanny handed her to me she cried…and I admit that it kind of broke my heart and kindled the flame of terror that was secretly burning in my gut…”what if she doesn’t like us?” In a few seconds I was able to calm her down, so I tried to hand her to Ryan. Uhhmm….not good. She wasn’t happy about that, so I kept her with me. It was sad that Ryan didn’t get to hold her today, but we know that it’s all about her and making her comfortable. She was okay with his close proximity and by the end of our visit had given us a couple of beautiful smiles.

While at the orphanage we were able to meet the daughter of our good friends, Ryan and Kim Foust. We delivered a package of goodies to her and had our picture taken with her. She was so sweet and cute and healthy and smiley! I was so happy to be meeting her! The videographer got footage of us with her for our lifebook. Desalee and this little girl have been through a lot together in Ethiopia and they will grow up close to one another with a special bond. I look forward to the day that we show these girls that they were together practically from the start! It warms my heart! By the time we left it was naptime, and Desalee was sharing a little bed with this little friend! I just love it!
Here’s a funny thing…before nap, the nannies put about 10 toddlers on little potties for a “group potty time” Most of these kids didn’t look like they were two and they sat on the potty for probably 10 minutes! I found it to be remarkable! Maybe Desalee will be easy to potty train like her big brother and sister were!
After our visit with Desalee we had some lunch and did a little shopping…the shopping was hard. I didn’t enjoy it. We found some nice stuff, but it was really hard because white Americans attract a lot of attention, especially from street vendors and beggars. We are told not to give in to the desire to “help” them. In fact, one member of our group gave a small boy a package of crackers and that opened up Pandora ’s Box! There were tons of people coming over for crackers! It’s just very sad. You want to help, but don’t know what to do! Uncomfortable is the understatement of the century!
Tomorrow promises to be a long day…we travel by bus for about 4 ½ hours to a town called Hoseanna where we will meet Desalee’s birth family. I don’t know yet who exactly we will be meeting. We will have the chance to ask questions and also to tell them that we plan to take good care of their girl, give her the best life we can and love her with all our hearts. I think it will be a hard meeting emotionally. Prayers are welcome!
Now it’s off to bed!
Love, S


DSCN2034-1.JPG

more pics to come, I promise!




4 comments:

BlondesPoopMascara.blogspot.com said...

I did NOT expect to get a blog update. This is SO fantastic! We're so excited back here in Indy!!! -Mr. Blonde

Unknown said...

I am crying as I read this! Your pics didn't show up though! Oh my goodness I can't wait to hear more!

sheldonanddenise said...

You're such a great writer! You really captured the day with your words.... it felt like we were right there with you guys! I'm sooo bummed that I can't see the pics! Prayers are being sent your way! Blessings, Denise

Anonymous said...

...from what i understand from my cousins who have adopted internationaly...they associated men with doctors (shots and ouch!) and women with comfort and caregiving...