We are The Poe's. Now a family of 5 through adoption. Here's a peek into our lives. Welcome!


________________________________________________________

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Growing!


So today I took Des to the pediatrician for her second round of immunizations. It's been about 8 weeks since our initial visit with Dr. O. Everyone in the office goes crazy over her! They all think she's gorgeous! ...she is. [I feel totally okay with saying that because since I didn't actually make her and she looks nothing like me, I don't feel vain in saying that she is gorgeous. Unlike Jake and Em who are obviously my clones...it feels a little bit weird heralding their beauty as if to say, "look at my beautiful children who look just like me....so I, vis-a-vis, must be beautiful too, no?" It feels like vainly paying myself a compliment. I do humbly accept that Jake and Em are beautiful children...the very best parts of Ryan and I and God did all the work.
But I digress...]

Where was I? Oh, yes....the pediatrician. Now, I've been hanging out with this child for a couple of months now and I realize that she looks different. For one, she HAS HAIR NOW! [which, by the way has glitter stuck in it and I can not get it out! my first afro dilemma!] But Dr. O was totally taken aback by how different she looks! She went on and on and on about it! All good, mind you. She's growing well and seems so much more adjusted...Dr. O even noticed how "lovey" she is with her mommy. [having total strangers poke you with sharp things would make anyone cling a bit, don't you think?] But the truth is that she is a very affectionate child, which I am so grateful for.
So, today's trip to see Dr. O. got us 3 shots [ouchie], lots of tears, a diagnosis of another ear infection [boo!] , a lot of oohs and aahhs from the office staff, and we found out that she has gained almost 5lbs. in the past 2 months, bringing her up to a smidge over 24 lbs! Yay!!! Since it wasn't an official "well baby" check up I don't have her charted on the growth curve, but no doubt she is making progress! And the bonus was that I didn't have to pay the $30 co-pay because technically it was a "nurse visit" for shots but Dr. O. was with us most of the time! Nice!

To celebrate Desi's accomplishments I gave her a sucker in the car....as far as I know she's never had one. [we are THOSE parents who try to keep our kids from having pure sugar or at least limit it...so what?!] She loved it!

Snazz-y!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

She looks awesome..your are awesome and she is TOTALLY BEAUTIFUL! Can't wait to meet her!

sheldonanddenise said...

Oh my goodness.... she has really changed!!!! Still beautiful, but older looking too (sure you didn't want to hear that:o)!!!

Something new I learned this past week worth passing on: using Cortisone Cream on poison ivy on little brown kiddo's results in bleached out skin! Mederma on scars does the same thing! Why is this not on the front of the packaging in bright bold RED?!!!!! Please share if you know of any crazy stuff like this! Happy Fall and I'd love to see you guys in person if you have the time when you're in St. Jo! Or you guys could come to our farm and play! Denise

Nook said...

Thanks for the tip Denise! Good to know! We're coming back to St. Joe during the week after Christmas. I'm planning on getting together with Ali and Ade, maybe you could join us!

Unknown said...

This makes me so happy! She is changing and totally thriving! Love her and can't wait to meet her!