We are The Poe's. Now a family of 5 through adoption. Here's a peek into our lives. Welcome!


________________________________________________________

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Getting to Heaven...on a rocket?

Funny Story.
As I said in my last post, my parents came for a visit from Missouri. Some of our friends here in Indiana have met me dad, Vince. Short history: about 18 years ago he was in a motorcycle accident that left him paralyzed, so he's in a wheelchair, which is now normal to me and I can hardly remember him before.
Anyway, back to the funny story. When kids ask my dad why he rolls around in a chair all the time he usually (jokingly) responds, "because I'm lazy." Kids fail to see the humor, but usually leave it alone. This time we explained to Jake that Papaw Vinny had an accident and that he can't walk anymore, but that he's okay and not really very different from anyone else.
A bit later Jake asks Papaw, "can you just try to walk?" so my dad responds, "well, I'll probably walk again when I get to heaven."
After a moment of thought Jake's response was, "well Heaven's pretty high up so I think you're going to need a rocket!"
Kids, they say the funniest things!

4 comments:

The Liller Family said...

Wow, looks like you guys had a great time - can't wait to hear more about it! Love Jake's thought processes too - that's just too funny (but not as funny as your comment about hair and what the men in your life choose to do with theirs - that had me rollin'!!!) Happy Mommy's Day to you tomorrow too!

The Ousley Family said...

Dad and I laughed for a good 10 minutes on that one!!! The pics are good, but Dad still won't cut his hair. He's blaming the frizz on creme rinse. Whatev.

The Ingraldi Family said...

Too funny! It must be a 4 year old thing - Kati told me Saturday that she needed a rocket to get to Heaven. I can't believe it has been 18 years since his accident, I remember praying for him after his accident.
Jake is such a cute kid.

Unknown said...

that is the cutest thing i have ever heard!!!! How sweet!!! Hehe!